A LONDON councillor has been caught on camera setting his notes on FIRE while trying to light a candle in an online meeting.
Tom Sleigh, a councillor for the City of London, was in a meeting with 30 of his colleagues when he jumped back in shock brandishing a ball of fire.
Mr Sleigh was on a video call with the City of London Resources Allocation Sub-Committee, which was being live streamed online.
The hilarious clip shows the councillor yelling as his notes go up in flames, apparently trying to put the blaze out as his colleague continued talking, unaware of Mr Sleigh’s accident.
In a tweet with a clip of the video, he said: “Today didn’t go as smoothly as I hoped”..
Mr Sleigh was muted, but one person replied to the tweet saying he appeared to yell: “S***! S***!”
The councillor responded, saying: “Lip reader.”
The Labour councillor told the Local Democracy Reporting Service, he was trying to use a USB lighter to light a candle when things started to go badly wrong.
He managed to put the flames out quickly, but said he had “badly burnt” his fingers and “plunged them into a cold sink” afterwards.
Fellow Councillor Genevieve Kitchen joked: “Note to self don’t put candles so close to reports!”
Another City of London Councillor Peter Dunphy quipped: “I’ve been known to use unconventional means to avoid listening to the Chair of Finance but setting fire to yourself is a bit extreme Tom.”
Others said Mr Sleigh’s fiery mishap was “all too relatable” .
London councillor accidentally sets his notes on FIRE while trying to light a candle in an online meeting
From Brexit breaking news to HD movie trailers, The Sun newspaper brings you the latest news videos and explainers from the UK and around the world.
Become a Sun Subscriber and hit the bell to be the first to know
Read The Sun: http://www.thesun.co.uk
Like The Sun on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thesun/
Follow The Sun on Twitter: https://twitt.face.cx/TheSun
Subscribe to The Sun on Snapchat: https://www.snapchat.com/discover/The_Sun/1633225139